One of my most favorite things about fall, besides pumpkin spice (no shame here, folks), is the wide variety of seasonal produce that comes with it – especially apples. Thanks to global consumerism, you don’t have to eat apples only in the fall – so this fall inspired dish is perfect no matter the season!
When I’m looking for a good recipe to make, it has to meet 3 criteria:
- Insanely good.
- Worth the effort.
- Make phenomenal leftovers. Friends, this recipe really does deliver! It’s so easy to make that you almost second guess yourself because you’ve been told before “if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is”. Let this dinner prove that saying wrong.
How to make Sheet Pan Harvest Apple Chicken:
- Preheat. Get the oven to a nice and toasty 425° and line the baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Assemble. Place the chicken, apples and pecans on the sheet. Pour the apple cider mixture evenly over the ingredients.
- Bake. Bake for 25 minutes, rotating the ingredients every 5-10 minutes to allow for even cooking.
- Serve. Once done cooking, allow it to cool for 5 minutes before serving for best flavor.
Tips for Sheet Pan Harvest Apple Chicken:
- What type of apples are best for cooking? Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Gala, Braeburn, Cortland and Pink Lady are our favorite apples to use when cooking.
- What is a sheet pan meal? A meal where all ingredients are cooked together at the same time, on the same pan resulting in amazing flavors and easy clean up!
- Can I use something different than a sheet pan? Definitely! You can use any oven-safe dish that will allow these ingredients to full cook – like a 9 by 13 inch Pyrex dish.
- Will my pecans burn? Pecans are a high fat nut, which will burn if left unattended. I recommend keeping an eye on the dish as you cook since every oven bakes a little differently. You can always place aluminum foil over the recipe if you believe it’s browning too quickly.
- How can I change this recipe? There are a lot of additions you can make to this recipe – such as switching out nuts, adding things like fresh cranberries or even topping it with white cheddar cheese!
Looking for more delicious meals? Check out some of these fan favorites!
Sheet Pan Harvest Apple Chicken
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large gala apples cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 3 tbsp melted salted butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme alternatively, 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 425° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Either butterfly the chicken breasts, or use a meat mallet to pound them down to roughly 1 inch thickness. Arrange them on the baking sheet. Arrange the apple slices and pecans around the chicken.
- Combined the melted butter, honey, Dijon, apple cider vinegar, thyme, salt and nutmeg into a bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the chicken, apples and pecans.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°. To prevent the pecans from burning, mix the ingredients the pan a few times while it is baking.
- For more juicy chicken, brine them overnight in a bag (4 cups water, 2 tbsp salt)
- To speed up the seasoning process, you can toss all ingredients directly into the sauce bowl to evenly coat them.
- Recipe from Sonia from The Healthy Foodie