Have you ever walked into the delicatessen of a grocery store at just the right moment and enjoyed the smell of freshly cooked rotisserie chicken? Ah, pure bliss. With our work schedules, that moment is a rarity – we normally go to the store when all we can choose from are 3 old chickens that are past their prime.. Man oh man though, that smell – it makes you drool and causes you to crave that chicken no matter how full you are.
We love to use rotisserie chicken for a variety of uses – we make chicken salad, sandwiches, wraps and if it’s still fresh, we eat it straight.
No one can deny that store bought rotisserie chicken is quick, convenient and easy. What’s nice about making it yourself is that it’s still quick, convenient and easy. We love the smell of it cooking, we love that we get to make our own seasoning blend that is “just right” and we love that it’s fresh. You know that when the timer goes off – that you are getting to eat a fresh and well seasoned bird. This recipe is so easy in fact that I have found myself making it more often than we would purchase rotisserie chicken normally – because it tastes too good that it’s easy to incorporate it into your other meals.
To make this recipe you will need an air fryer or a roasting pan for your oven – but the results are much better if you use an air fryer. When we make this recipe, we love to use our Instant Pot Vortex Plus Air Fryer – it has just enough space for your average chicken and does a phenomenal job!
Pro tip: Most people don’t have cooking twine around the house – you do not need to run and get some. You can use unflavored dental floss as an alternative. I guess you could use flavored as well – but I’m not sure minty rotisserie chicken sounds appealing!
Air Fried Rotisserie Chicken
- Air Fryer
- 4 lb whole chicken
- 1 lemon zested, wedged
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or regular - but smoked is better
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- kitchen twine or unflavored dental floss
- Take your chicken and pat it dry. Once dry, use twine to tie the legs together as tightly as possible. Then, tie wings to the bird as tightly as you can. I sometimes also tie the midsection to help keep everything in place.
- In a bowl, mix all seasonings, oil and zest together - then generously season the chicken with it.
- Place the lemon wedges directly into the cavity of the chicken and skewer it using your rotisserie skewers, if you do not have a rotisserie skewer, you can cook the chicken on a tray and flip it halway through to ensure even browning,
- Place the chicken in the air fryer, set the temperature to 375° and allow it to cook for 40-45 minutes. It's done when you can get an internal temperature reading of 165° (I typically temp the breast)
- Allow it to rest for at least 5 minutes and then serve!