Do you have that one recipe that instantly transports you to your childhood? I have several and none is more special to me than Cheesy Chicken Roll-Ups – you see, it’s my grandmother’s recipe.
My grandmother, Janet Olson, is currently a resident at Apostolic Christian Skylines where she receives phenomenal care – she has late stage dementia and needs around the clock care. What most people do not know is that Janet was a phenomenal cook – having many children and living on a farm, she had to be!
The Janet Olson I choose to remember was full of life and always had a hot meal ready. She was the head cook at Adeline Christian Camp and every summer she would ask all of her grandkids to help her pick the menu for summer camp that year – and it was so much fun! That’s where this recipe gained it’s infamy – they would make sheets of Cheesy Chicken Roll-Ups and never have leftovers. It became such a popular menu item that kids returning from previous years would talk about how excited they were to try them again!
This recipe takes me back to my childhood – I can remember sitting at the table (elbows were not allowed to be on the table!), smiling at my grandmother and enjoying every last drop of her delicious cooking. While you’ll never get the opportunity to meet her, I hope that you can be blessed by this easy, delicious recipe and that maybe one day you can make memories too.
How to make Cheesy Chicken Roll-Ups:
- Prepare. Ensure that you have all of the ingredients and that you have cooked the chicken in advance. We like to use our instant pot for this, but you could boil the chicken too.
- Make the roll-ups. Place the filling in the dough and roll it up!
- Bake. Place the roll-ups in the bottom of the 9 by 13 dish at 375° and then bake for 10 minutes or until they just begin to brown.
- Make the sauce. While baking, combine all other ingredients on the stove to create the cheese sauce.
- Combine and broil. Pour the cheese sauce evenly on the roll ups and broil for 2-4 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown.
Common Questions about Cheesy Chicken Roll-Ups
- What is the best way to cook chicken? We would recommend the the instapot for best results, but many people will choose to boil the chicken.
- If I boil the chicken can I use the water instead of chicken broth? Yes. While I believe that you get much better flavor from actual stock, you could do this in a pinch!
- What should I serve with Cheesy Chicken Roll-Ups? This dish goes great with a side of rice and steamed vegetables! Don’t even get us started on dessert!
Cheesy Chicken Roll-Ups
- 1 9" by 13" dish I prefer glass, it cleans easier.
- 2 cups shredded chicken cooked
- 2 cans crescent rolls
- 1 can cream of chicken soup reduced sodium
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock reduced sodium
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Making the Roll-Ups
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- On a clean surface unroll all 16 crescent roll triangles. Place 1-2 tbsp of shredded chicken onto the center of each one - if you have any chicken remaining place it evenly on the rolls.
- "Roll Up" each crescent roll, starting with the wide edge first. Once rolled, crimp the edges to help keep the chicken inside.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until the rolls just begin to brown.
Making the Cheese Sauce
- While the Roll-ups are baking, place a small sauce pan on the stove and add the cream of chicken soup on medium heat.
- Melt 3/4 cup of the cheddar cheese into the soup, add the pepper and thin the sauce out with the chicken stock.
Combining Cheese Sauce & Roll-Ups.
- When the roll-ups are out of the oven, pour the cheese sauce evenly over them (making sure they are completely covered) and top with the remaining cheese.
- Turn the oven's temp to "Broil" and broil them for 2-4 minutes (or bake for another 6-8 minutes), watching very closely so that they do not burn. Remove from the oven when the cheese is fully melted and beginning to turn brown.