Well here in the Midwest we have had quite the February! Two weeks ago with the windchill, it was -25 degrees and this week we have a high of 55! While the cold weather can really put a damper on things, the promise of warm weather has my tastebuds craving anything and everything summer related! This cheddar brat and peppers dish is so incredibly simple and has so much flavor that it’s the trifecta of cooking – quick, easy and delicious!
There are a few different ways that you can make this recipe, but my all time favorite is to grill out the brats (I usually do this in advance) and then make the seasoned vegetables on a sheet pan. You could grill the vegetables out as well, but I find that it’s harder to ensure a consistent temperature and you risk the vegetables falling into the grill when you mix it. The recipe itself is written to be done completely on a sheet pan without grilling but in the notes you will find information on how to grill it instead.
What I really like about this meal is that is how simple it is and how versatile it is. You can add any vegetable you like and even switch out the type of bratwurst – going a step further you can even use a different meat!
We often find that this meal is so delicious that we eat almost all of it in one sitting – so we love to add rice (cooked in chicken stock) which adds a really great flavor and helps leave us full when we are done!
Cheddar Brats & Peppers
- 16 oz cheddar brats sliced into 1/2 thick pieces
- 3 colored bell peppers diced into 1/2 -1 inch pieces
- 1 red onion diced into 1/2-1 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini diced into 1/2 - 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- Prep all ingredients and mix into a bowl. Check the notes if you would like to use grilled brats.
- Place all ingredients on a sheet pan and bake for 15-20 minutes - until the vegetables and brats are beginning to brown.
- Plate up the ingredients and enjoy!