Most readers don’t know, but Zeke worked at Panera Bread for 11 years – in fact, it was his first job and he landed it a few days after his 16th birthday. One of his favorite things about that job beyond the truly amazing customers was the constant opportunity to try new foods!
One of his favorite (gone… but not forgotten) foods there was the Jalapeño Cheddar Bagel. Eating that bagel was like eating nachos for breakfast….. and if you made it a breakfast sandwich with bacon.. it was heavenly. If you’ve had that bagel before please give it a shoutout in the comment section!
These bacon jalapeño cornbread muffins are my attempt to recreate that flavors of a jalapeño cheddar breakfast sandwich and to pay homage to the bagels of Panera past..
These muffins are phenomenal with just a little butter, but adding some honey will really take these to the next level. They are perfect for parties, especially if chili is involved (here’s looking at you, Super Bowl) and if you crumbled a few up, they would also make and amazing topping to any sweet/savory casserole.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do and please let us know your thoughts in the comments!
Bacon Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 slices thick cut bacon cooked
- 2 canned jalapeños diced; discard seeds if you have a low heat tolerance
- 1 cup triple cheddar cheese any sharp cheddar is okay
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° and place a small sauce pan on the stove on medium-low heat.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients (including the cheese and bacon). Place the butter in the sauce pan and cook until it begins to brown (5-8 minutes).
- Once the dry ingredients have been thoroughly mixed, mix in all other ingredients (including the brown butter and diced jalapeños). Be careful to not overmix.
- Fill the lined muffin tins (or using non-stick spray) 2/3 full with batter. Depending on how generous your portions are, you can make between 18-24 muffins.
- Allow them to bake for 18-20 minutes. I never trust "bake times" so I usually start inserting a toothpick around the 16 minute mark. They will dome nicely and begin to brown slightly when done.
- These are super good with just butter but adding honey really elevates them! Serve warm!