As a kid, I could not stand Green Bean Casserole. I don’t think I ever actually tried it – I’m pretty sure that I never even gave it a chance because I did not like mushrooms and I also did not like green beans. When you’re 0 for 2 and a child, that would be a hard pass. Thankfully, I do not pass on this Bacon & Cheddar Green Bean Casserole! Many years later (ok, not that many – I’m not old!) my tastes and preferences have changed significantly. I now know that I do enjoy mushrooms in many instances and that green beans are very delicious if prepared correctly. I think we have all had the time tested and honored Campbell’s recipe (click here for fun history behind this dish!) and this recipe is a unique twist on that classic dish!
How to make Bacon & Cheddar Green Bean Casserole
Follow these simple steps to yield amazing results!
- Prepare the beans. I have found that freshly cooked green beans are more flavorful and have a much more appealing texture than canned. Quickly blanch the green beans and allow them to cool.
- Make the sauce. While making the sauce, ensure that your oven is preheating to 450 degrees F. Cook the mushrooms until they release liquid, add the seasonings and then thicken it. After adding the liquids, allow it to simmer.
- Combine and bake. Mix the beans, bacon and cheddar cheese together and pour into a 9″ by 13″. Pour the sauce evenly over the beans and top with French fried onions. Bake for 15-20 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Substitutions & Common Questions
- Can I make this dairy free? Yes! Simply substitute the dairy products with non-dairy alternatives!
- How long is green bean casserole good for in the refrigerator? This recipe will be good for up to 5 days!
- Can I freeze leftover green bean casserole? Yes! It can be frozen in a sealed, air tight container for 10-12 months.
- Can I used canned green beans for green bean casserole? While we much prefer the flavor and texture of fresh green beans, you can easily substitute for canned. We would recommend 6 cans of green beans, drained.
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out these other great recipes!
Bacon & Cheddar Green Bean Casserole
- 9" by 13" casserole dish
- 12" skillet
- 1.5 lbs fresh green beans stems removed, cut in 1/2
- 1 lb bacon pan fried, roughly chopped
- 16 oz white button mushrooms cleaned and stem removed
- 1.5 cups chicken bone broth or chicken stock
- 1.5 cups half n half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese we prefer sharp
- 6 ounces french fried onions
- 3 tbsp cornstarch or 6 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp bacon grease can substitute with salted butter
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
Prepping the green beans
- Place the green beans in boiling salted water for 5 minutes
- Pull and immediately place in an ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
Making the sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- In a large skillet, cook the mushrooms with salt and pepper in the bacon grease on medium high heat. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Fold in the garlic and nutmeg and stir for another 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add just enough cold water to your cornstarch so that it dissolves. Then add the bone broth and cornstarch slurry direction to the skillet and allow it to boil. Turn the burner down to low heat and add the cream, allowing the mixture to simmer until it thickens, usually 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a bowl mix the cheese, bacon and beans together. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish.
- Pour the sauce directly over the mixture and top with the french fried onions. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes and enjoy!